Tuesday, April 24, 2012

les chateaux on a budget

I have decided to base our stay in the valley out of Tours. I have no particular chateaux in mind to visit, just so long as I see some of them! We will have no transportation of our own - what is the cheapest way to get to some nearby chateaux? I know there are trains, but I feel like they are a little expensive - I%26#39;m finding prices near 22 dollars per person for a round-trip, which is more than I wanted to spend.



My 3 questions are:


-Am I wrong about the prices for trains? And if so, around how much can I expect to pay?



-Are there buses that run between chateaux?



-Are the %26quot;bus tours%26quot; I%26#39;ve read about in guide books a good idea? Or is it better to explore on your own?



Thanks so much!





|||



1) A round trip train ticket for tours/blois is 8.50Euros



2) There are buses that run in the summer time, the lonely planet guides have good info on them (take notes at the bookstore if you don%26#39;t want ot buy it)



3) I prefer going on my own, but then I%26#39;ve always had a car when I wasn%26#39;t with a group.



The most impressive chateaux are Chenonceau and Chambord and I highly recomend a visit to Leonardo da Vinci%26#39;s last home in Ambroise, where there is also a spectacular chateau. If you find the time, try to stay light for one of the sons et lumieres shows that are at many of the castles.

No comments:

Post a Comment