Saturday, April 21, 2012

Provence or TUscany

My husband are planning a May trip either to Provence or Tuscany/Umbria. We want to AVOID tourists and crowds, but want great food, wine and scenery! Any suggestions?




|||



In Tuscany, the beautiful villa where I lived when I was a student at the University of Florence 30 years ago (in a tiny room, with a bathroom down the hall), and when I recently returned (to their deluxe -gorgeous!- accomodations): www.villvilloresi.it




|||



We did Provence this past May. Arles was very crowded during daytime (10-4) and we did days trips to Avignon and Pont du Gard, St Remy...I would enjoy Arles in the early morning....we stayed in Marseilles and went to Cassis (crowded but truly beautiful) Marseille wasn%26#39;t touristy and is definitely unrated for tourists.





I am doing Tuscany the end of this month - even though I%26#39;m Italian, I think Provence is my preference.




|||



uhoh



just realized I mis-spelled the name of the website in Tuscany.



corrected version is www.villavilloresi.it




|||



You should try %26quot;Haute Provence%26quot; ( Verdon canyon and Luberon mountains...) This area is fantastic, superb panorama, not crowded with very good food. We spend a few days in Greoux les bains, an very romantic oasis.




|||



Hi there. My husband and I went to both Provence and Tuscany this past summer and had a blast in both. You are going in May so you%26#39;ll see tourists but nothing like when we went in July. eek


My suggestion: Tuscany.


I%26#39;ve been lucky enough to see some beautiful scenery in this world, but none like Tuscany. There are many places to visit in the surrounding area like Montelcino, Montepulciano, Pienza and Cortona (whre the film %26quot;Under the Tuscan Sun%26quot; was filmed).


The place we stayed was called %26quot;Aiola%26quot; and sits on a hill overlooking grapevines and olive trees. I would return in a hearbeat.



You%26#39;ll have fun wherever you decide!


-Ruby




|||



I agree; Tuscany is the ticket! If you decide to go to Villa Villoresi, please tell Cristina Villoresi that Ellen sent you. It is in Sesto Fiorentino, in the countryside outside Florence. The food there is delicious, and Cristina can guide you as to day trips. Very homey atmosphere, and they have a pool too if it is warm enough in May. She can be reached by email at %26lt;cvillor@tin.it%26gt; for any questions, or to reserve.




|||



I know how you feel. I love France. But I see the movie %26quot;Under the Tuscan Sun%26quot; with Diane Lane, and I am ready to go to Italy. When I did a Mediterranean cruise this past September, I liked Nice and Eze. I loved Florence, but it was touristy. I talked to my brother who saw more or Italy, and he really liked Siena. He said that Siena was less touristy than Florence.





I really like the itineraries on the Wind Surf (Windstar Cruises) for May 2005. windstarcruises.com/FindCruises/windsurf.asp…



May 8th-Marseille to Rome



May 23rd-Roundtrip Nice



May 29th-Nice to Rome





Sincerely,





Diana




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:53 am, January 21, 2005


|||



I%26#39;d like to hear about the trip from the trip from Provence to Tuscany--I%26#39;m planning on doing that this summer. Did you take the trains?


--Mary




|||



Those of you who have traveled from Provence to Tuscany/Florence/Siena:



Can you tell me how you traveled? I am trying to figure out the quickest train connections, but not having much luck. We will be in Avignon in June and need to get to Florence and then fly home from Pisa.



It%26#39;s the Avignon or Nice to Florence that is the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.


Thanks.



Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment