Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V.A.T. refunds - how it works?

I understand you need a min. purchase of 164 euros and passport, do we have to also go somewhere at the airport? Also, any tips/ins-and-outs appreciated. Thanks




|||



The minimum purchase per store is 175E - Most stores will give you a form %26amp; envelope which must be stamped at the Airport. There are signs directing you to the VAT or TAX Refund desk. After it is stamped, put 1 copy in the envelope and mail from airport, no stamp needed on the envelopes I rec%26#39;d. At the time of purchase they will ask you how you want your refund - via credit card is the easiest and fastest way. They will often ask to see some or all of the merchandise. I bought a suit for my husband - they did not want to see it, but we kept it out of suitcase just in case. He had purchased an Hermes scarf and necklace for my birthday - that they did want to see, so we recommend going to the desk BEFORE you check your luggage.



Yes, you will need your passport. I was told that the lines can be very long - we walked right up to the window,but it was a Monday morning.




|||



Good explanation above. I%26#39;m just confirming for you that, yes, the lines can be very long, an hour or even more, so get to the airport early if you plan on getting the refund.





The other thing to note is that if you are visiting more than one city/country while on your trip, you don%26#39;t need to go to get your refund at each airport along the way if you are flying from country to country. You just have to go at your final departure city when you leave the European Union.




|||



I was unable to get my VAT form stamped while at CDG due to time constraints... is it worthwhile to mail my form to try to get my refund?




|||



As far as I know it must be stamped at the airport in order for it to be valid.

No comments:

Post a Comment