Saturday, March 24, 2012

I travel to Paris three times a year for vacation, Should I...

My husband says that I am wasting money and that maybe we should look at either buying property or a timeshare. Are there timeshares in Paris, Can Americans buy property in Paris and or what%26#39;s the going rate for property there ie.. 1 bedroom flat? if so, is it difficult?




|||



Isabella,





Yes there are some timeshares in or very close to Paris...Someone posted here that they have one near Vincenes someplace. We bought a little place 6 years ago and I would be glad to share what I know about buying a place, just post your email address for me.




|||



My husband and I are also thinking of purchasing property in France. If you have time to email me also I would so appreciate it! Write us at dsoulbather@hotmail.com. Thank you for all your help.




|||



There are great books on the subject at your bookstore, too.



As for saving money, property values have skyrocketed since Bea bought several years ago, but if you can afford it, it is great to have your own place and several Americans that we know use a rental company to rent the place out to other visitors while they are away to offset the cost.




|||



Gourmand...........Tried dsoulbather@hotmail.com and it came back. Have I got it wrong?




|||



Oops! Yes, I have two emails and I combined them. Sorry about that. It%26#39;s dsoulbather@sbcglocal.net





I live on the Central Coast where a shack now goes for a half million and people are fighting over the property and actually offering MORE than the listed price. A two bedroom 30 year old house goes for $750,000. I kid you not. We can never live here forever. The thought of buying something in France and renting out to help pay the mortgage greatly appeals to us.





Thanks for trying me again. Sorry about the wrong email.




|||



Gourmand.............It still did not work. What am I doing wrong?




|||



Does anyone know about the inheiritance laws in France and/or legal aspects of owning property? I.e. I read an article some time ago about legal aspects of owning property and residing in France. There was something about if a person died in France, the gov. would take about 50% of the estate (even if a surviving spouse?)??. Unfortunately I can%26#39;t remember the details--can%26#39;t remember if this applied to property owned in France, or if one had to be a residence or just spent a certain amount of time there. I just remember enough to remind myself to look into the legal aspects before making any more permanent type of move. I%26#39;m sorry this isn%26#39;t very clear, and perhaps someone has more clarity on it.




|||



Ok. I am paying attention now Bea. It%26#39;s dsoulbather@sbcglobal.net I put a c in global. I%26#39;m trying to type too fast. I apologize. Here I am asking you for a favor. Anyway, its dsoulbather@sbcglobal.net




|||



Somerset, you need to get a book about owning property in France and not go by the advice on a bb. This is not to sound snarky, but those laws are change and you shoud have some sound advice based on your particular needs.




|||



Somerset : the 50% can apply under some specific circumstances to inheritance of a non direct relative (example : you put me on your last wills :))





In any case, you should take the advice of a legal counsellor as I know that there is some complex issues about being american (or any non european citizen) and purchasing a real estate in France (complex doesn%26#39;t mean more difficult or specifically taxed, but needs some financial engineering to save).

No comments:

Post a Comment