Friday, March 30, 2012

Best haute lunch?

I%26#39;d like to book one or two special lunches in advance and am considering the following places. Which one(s) has the most bang for the buck? And which one(s) will be the most different from the food at La Tour d%26#39;Argent (where we%26#39;ll have our big blow-out dinner!):





Taillevent



Le Grand Vefour



Le Jardin d%26#39;Hiver



Le Meurice



Lasserre



Laurent



L%26#39;Astrance



Lucas Carton



Les Elysees du Vernet



Le Bristol



Pierre Gagnaire





I look forward to hearing your experiences and comments!




|||



Ahhh, my favorite dining topic in Paris. I%26#39;ve been to a total of 7 of the restaurants on your list, and my favorite restaurant in all of Paris has remained, through my various trips, TAILLEVENT. Truly a great experience every time I%26#39;ve been there. If you are choosing one from this list, I have to tell you that this would easily be the one that I%26#39;d choose. Then again, I%26#39;d choose it as my big blow-out dinner instead of Tour d%26#39;Argent. But don%26#39;t let me make you apprehensive about your choice of Tour d%26#39;Argent. It is also a wonderful restaurant and probably superior in experience from a historical perspective, with a storied past and its penchant for training some of the greatest French chefs in the world. Of course, it goes without saying, that you must have the duck there.





After Taillevent, my second favorite haute cuisine temple in Paris is Pierre Gagnaire.





I%26#39;d say to you to go to l%26#39;Astrance for dinner instead of lunch. It%26#39;s fantastic and is a step down in pricing from the others that you have listed. The prix-fixe menu is one of the best bargains in Paris at about 90 Euro, as the food is every bit as good as (and often better than) that at many of the far more expensive haute cuisine establishments. It%26#39;s my favorite %26quot;mid-range priced%26quot; restaurant in Paris (slightly edges out Jacques Cagna for me)





I%26#39;d say that I%26#39;d rank the rest that I%26#39;ve been to: le Grand Vefour, Les Elysees du Vernet, Le Meurice, Lasserre in descending order.




|||



I would suggest two restaurants which are not on your list: Le Cinq at the George V, and L%26#39;Espadon at the Ritz.




|||



i never saw l%26#39;ambroisie mentioned, they have 3 michelin stars, and are exceptionnally placed (place des vosges). i%26#39;ve never been but i%26#39;ve read lots of things about, and have friends who have been, they told me it is wonderful, they have michelin stars so i think you wont be too surprised about the quality.




|||



Taillevent is the best haute cuisine restaurant in Paris, this according to several of my chef friends in SF, locals and many, many satisfied diners.



Le Grand Vefour is thrilling, especially knowing the history of the place and the jeweled setting of the Palais Royale.



And Lasserre, on a fine day with the roof open, divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment