Thursday, April 12, 2012

Louvre and Orsay

I have limited time in Paris and would like to see the %26quot;famous%26quot; peices at the Louvre and Orsay. I know the Mona Lisa, Last Supper, Venus...are all a must see, but are there others I shouldn%26#39;t miss? It%26#39;s impossible to see everything in a couple of days!




|||



Madyson,





Might be a good idea to get some info on what is in the Louve so you can decide what you want to see. Try your local book store, library or this net...could be of help. It is huge with many different eras represented from all over the world....mostly from before the 1850%26#39;s or thereabouts. DiVinci%26#39;s famous Last Supper is not there but in Italy, so dont look for that....easy mistake.





The d%26#39;Orsay has more modern paintings.....from around the mid 1850%26#39;s. There, if you go to the top floor you will have plenty to view of some very famous artists and their famous paintings. There is much more to it, but it%26#39;s not nearly the size of the Louve.





Both are great old buildings in themselves too....especially the buildings of the Louve.




|||



The Rick Steves Paris guidebook has a good %26quot;quick%26quot; tour option for the Louvre that takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours. It also lists highlights of the Orsay. It is available in bookstores or you can check out the web site www.ricksteves.com. It also has much other useful information for touring Paris.




|||



Thanks. Time permitting, I think we are going to go check out the Museum of Modern Art too. Any must see exhibits there?




|||



I love this museum. I would recommend devoting your time to the 5th niveau, with all of the early modern works, although I always pay my respects to the Yves Klein Blue piece in the first room to the right on the fourth floor. I could just dive in to that painting...................




|||



You can go to the Centre Pompidou (Beaubourg) :some Picasso, Matisse, Modigliani, Pollock, Rothko... - http://www.cnac-gp.fr/ -




|||



My wife is in love with the Louvre, all ten miles of corridor.





I%26#39;m in love with the D%26#39;Orsay, particularly the Impressionists



so I head directly for the 3rd floor. I follow this with a meal



at the restaurant and then down to the gift shop.





I have done this three different years.





September 15th can%26#39;t come soon enough to do it again.





My Art 101 in college never even hinted it could be this good !

No comments:

Post a Comment