Thursday, April 12, 2012

Should I visit Les invalides?

Is it noteworthy?




|||



If you are into the military, Napoleon or french history in any way it is a must see.



Otherwise, you can give it a miss and visit Napoleon%26#39;s apartments at the Louvre or sit in a cafe and be a part of Paris.




|||



How do I get to Napoleon%26#39;s apartments in the Louvre? Should I get a museum pass? I am fascinated by French history.




|||



Are you kidding me? Of course you should! And what%26#39;s even better, visit the Military Museum (I think it%26#39;s called the Musee Armee) located in the same vicinity. You will find out how DeGaulle was responsible for winning WWII.




|||



Yes, definitely if you are interested in Napoleon and French/Europen History (the army museum is attached). I found it very interesting. Napoleon%26#39;s tomb and the basillica is quite grand.




|||



The military museum is not in the vicinity... it is IN Les Invalides. As is Napoleon%26#39;s tomb...seperate entrances, but I remember it being one price (I only went a month ago, you%26#39;d think I%26#39;d remember).



As for the apartments, they are in the Louvre. Part of the regular entrance. I forget which wing, but it is clearly marked on the map and if you do it right, you will wind up walking through an astonishing sculpture gallery.




|||



It sure is. I could have spent several days there in the military museum behind the basilica. Foch is also buried there and his grave monument is unique.




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;Is it noteworthy? .....I am fascinated by French history%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





If you are a student of French history or merely fascinated with the subject, I can%26#39;t imagine how you could visit Paris and NOT visit the INVALIDES and Eglise du Dome.




|||



Here is the web site for the Musee de l%26#39;Armee in the Invalides:





www.invalides.org/pages/anglais/coll_a.html





You do need a map to find what you are interested it, so get one at the desk if they have one.




|||



In that Napolean was such a central figure in



both French and European history, visiting



his Tomb as well as the apartments at the



Louvre would seem essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment