Sunday, April 15, 2012

Chateau Chambord (spelling?)

I%26#39;d like to see this Chateau, but I%26#39;m not sure if the trains go there, or would I have to arrange transport through a private tour operator. Does anyone know, or has anyone been there? Would this be an all-day excursion? How much travelling time? I%26#39;ve heard beautiful things about the Loire Valley....




|||



The Loire Valley is not a day trip. To do it right, you need at least 2 nights there.




|||



(bump)



Anyone???




|||



Several tour companies offer one day trips to the Loire Valley from Paris, so it can certainly be done in a day, although I prefer spending at least one night... it is a three hour drive from Paris and many of the chateaux have son et lumiere show at night that make the visit spectacular. Either way, I%26#39;d opt for renting a car and going on my own.



If driving is out of the question and you aren%26#39;t a fan of tour groups, the Amboise chateau is the most accessible via train, as it is in a town and there is also da Vinci%26#39;s home that you can visit nearby.



Chambord is particularly splendid, with the %26quot;da Vinci%26quot; double helix staircase and fairytale architecture and Chenenceau is a real crowd pleaser, as well.



Closer to Paris you could opt for the Chateau de Chantilly, which also boasts fairytale architecture, with the added allure of a world class art collection, nearby medieval Senlis and it is only 1 hour from the city.




|||



I believe its possible to get a bus tour in the summer from Blois to Chambord. Blois is 1.5 hr from Paris by train. I%26#39;ve seen the bus tours mentioned in writeups on Blois in France travel books which discuss the Loire valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment