Sunday, April 15, 2012

For Good2Go

A while back we were on the San Francisco site conversing and it seems you are coming to Central California this August? I just wanted you to have my email if you would like any info on your trip here. You have been very helpful to me in planning my second trip to France and would be happy to return the favor. Write me at tallmansoulmates@hotmail.com.





Welcome from Hearst Castle and the Monterey Aquarium!





Regarding Paris - have you eaten at Chez George? Is it as fabulous as Patricia Wells says? Merci.




|||



There are a number of %26#39;Chez Georges%26#39; in Paris;





http://www.chez-georges.com gives you a restaurant near Porte Maillot (pronounced %26#39;MAI-O%26#39;) at 273 bd Pereire 75017 Tel: 01 45 74 31 00 - a little expensive but, hey, you%26#39;re on holiday





or





Chez Georges 1 rue Mail 75002 Tel: 01 42 60 07 11 which isn%26#39;t anything like the above.





or





Chez Georges 1 villa Gaudelet 75011 Tel: 01 40 21 04 84



which is even cheaper than the first 2 options.





I would imagine that the first is the restaurant you are looking for. Unless, of course, you%26#39;d prefer to eat real French food and not something that%26#39;s been overpriced just for people to say %26quot;We ate there!%26quot;




|||



Thanks Gourmand, will do. Right now I am swamped planning our spring trips, so CA is going to have to wait until after the Feb holidays.



As for Chez Georges, it is not in my P Wells book. I didn%26#39;t even know about the three Chez Georges mentioned in the above post, but I did walk into Chez Georges on the rue des Canettes in the 6th last week and I was so asphyxiated by the smoke that I walked out (and I am used to restaurants with smoke). I only walked in because the name rang a bell and frankly I didn%26#39;t get in far enough to see if it was also a restaurant or merely a bar.



Here is my general opinion on P. Wells recommendations...the smaller quainter restaurants that she lists are invariably flooded with anglophone tourists, so I try to avoid them at all costs. For the larger and/or michelin starred places, well there is room for both crowds...french and anglo.



Here is the best restaurant I have been to in the last three months. It is a Rostang Bistro, and I know that Wells is a big fan of his cooking...L%26#39;Absinthe, 24 Place du Marche Saint-Honore, 75001




|||



Ok Good. Gotcha. When you start planning California let me know - I have a pretty interesting job that allows me some inside %26quot;connections%26quot; and can set up some cool stuff if you want.





To everyone - I was thinking of Chez Georges (forgot the last %26quot;s%26quot; before) This is supposedly her favorite bistro. It%26#39;s on 1, rue de Mail. 2arron





I will definitely look into your favorite now Good. Also, the new question about a favorite stroll is great. Wonderful answers.




|||



Gourmand,





I thought I%26#39;d chime in for you about Chez Georges. Like Patricia Wells, it is my favorite bistro in Paris. And yes, I am speaking of the same one, the one in the 2nd Arr. It%26#39;s a typical bistro environment. The tables are crammed next to one another in rows that run the length of the restaurant, They%26#39;re so close together that the wait staff has to move the table for you to get in and out. That%26#39;s part of the charm. The kitchen is so small and cramped that you%26#39;re amazed that they can put out the wonderful fare that they do. It%26#39;s the best filet mignon with bearnaise sauce that I%26#39;ve had in any Parisian bistro. The champignons salad is wonderful (basically a tub of mushrooms). The escargots are wonderful, not overly salty or creamy as they often are. Truly a homey, wonderful experience. It%26#39;s a little bit of a trek from anything, but well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment