Sunday, April 15, 2012

Has anyone taken the RER B from CDG?

We are traveling light, one carry-on suitcase each, no heavy items, easy to roll around.





I want to take the RER from CDG but need more information on how difficult it would be to get around the airport to catch the train. Our hotel is located across from Jardin du Luxembourg and a 5min walk from the station to the hotel, this according to the hotel staff.





RER or Blue Van Shuttle? I want to get to the hotel as soon as I land and according to the hotel staff the train is the fastest way of getting there but I%26#39;m afraid once we get there it may not be so easy to take the RER.





Help!




|||



If you want to get to your hotel as quickly as possible, I would not advise taking the shuttle. You never know how long you will have to wait. I once waited over an hour to board a pre-arranged shuttle, never again.





I now take taxis since cost is the last thing I consider while on vacation. I save my budgeting for when I am at home. I should note that I have been lucky not to encounter any accidents on the autoroute as indeed that could delay one%26#39;s arrival in Paris considerably.





If I were traveling VERY lightly (not much chance of that) then I would definitely consider taking the RER. I actually enjoy taking the RER/metro while in Paris but not encumbered with luggage.




|||



Which terminal building at CDG? From T2, you need to catch a free shuttle to the RER station, which isn%26#39;t too bad, but the signage at CDG is abysmal - seriously. Finding the shuttle (navette) is a pain, moreso than getting on the thing or the RER. The RER is quick, though, and it%26#39;s easy to get from there to the Metro at the Gare du Nord. The cost should be about 15 euro return.




|||



Making the connection from the French Customs exit at your CDG Arrival Terminal to the RER stations at CDG will depend upon which airline you will be arriving on from New York. Air France(2-E %26amp; C) Continental (2-A), Delta(2-E %26amp; C) and American(2-A) all arrive at either CDG terminal buildings #2 A, C or E. In this case, after collecting your luggage, you simply exit the customs control point (usually no more than a nod %26amp; wave) and walk along the main concourse to the SNCF/TGV/RER train terminal attached to the terminal, locacted between #2-C %26amp; E, then down a couple of wide escalators to the RER ticket office. There is more than ample signage and almost any airport employee will be able to point you in the right direction. From CDG #2, it%26#39;s almost %26#39;idiot proof%26#39;





If you flight arrives at CDG #1 (which is currently being renovated, you will need to make your way down to the main Arrival Exit and take a GREEN shuttle bus (Navette) from outside the main Arrivals exit to the RER station. Not quite as %26#39;idiot-proof%26#39; but hardly %26#39;rocket science%26#39; either.





You can print out terminal diagrams/maps and directions from this site and carry them with you as a handy reference.





http://www.adp.fr/webadp/a_cont01_an.nsf/$$Affich@ReadForm%26amp;cle=X500520521.html





In the event of bad weather, rain etc. have a %26#39;back-up plan%26#39; ready to go--my recommendation would be to take the RER as far as Gare du Nord and then come up to street level and take a taxi from the rank out in front of the station to your hotel. Even a few blocks in the rain can be uncomfortable. There will be closer RER stops to your hotel (Chatelet/Les Halles, Saint Michel/Notre Dame, Luxembourg)--but you will have much less trouble finding a cab in the rain, at a major train station. If you do get off at Gare du Nord and want to kill a few %26#39;houskeeping%26#39; birds with a single stop, you can also purcahse transportation passes, carnets, museum passes, pick up %26#39;#2--GRAND PLAN -Paris--lignes et rues%26#39; Metro/RER/Bus maps (an indispensible tool) from a Metro ticket kiosk, stop at an ATM, pick up a copy of PARISCOPE at a news kiosk--all before you leave the station and hop into a cab.




|||



The RER is a great way to get to/from the airport and I think that you will find it a no brainer once you arrive.



As KDK says, you follow the signs to SNCF/RER, buy your ticket and hop on for a ride to St Michel. From there it is a short walk, and pleasant, pass the Roman Baths of the Cluny museum, the Sorbonne and the Lux. gardens.



As for taking the taxi in the rain, if I was going to do that, I think that I%26#39;d just get in a cab directly at the airport. But I wouldn%26#39;t take a cab in the rain, I%26#39;d just pack an umbrella.




|||



OOPs... Just realized that you will be getting off at the Luxembourg Station. Never mind that whole walk intinerary. Its even easier, as the station is much smaller and will let you out right at the gardens.




|||



Yes, the only very minor trouble I had was finding the shuttle to take me from CDG to the RER terminal. Once there, go to the ticket office on the lower level (just follow the crowds), wait on a 5-minute line to buy your ticket and you%26#39;re set.





And may I remind you, watch your wallet. On TWO ocassions I saw someone get pick-pocketed on the RER. They like to grab your wallet and run just as the doors are closing.





BTW, it is usually very difficult to find a working ATM in CDG. You are better off waiting to get into the city to use an ATM.




|||



My boyfriend and I are planning to take the RER also - If we have one large bag and 2 carry-ons, will we fit on the train? Or is this too much luggage to expect to take on the RER?




|||



KDK - So I can take the RER B to Luxembourg correct? I%26#39;ll be flying American which is in level 2A, so we%26#39;ll walk to the RER. What kind of RER ticket do I buy when I get to the station? We plan on taking the RER back providing our one suitcase becomes more than that after a little shopping, although, I hear we won%26#39;t be bringing much back but chocolates.





I will be going to Versailles one day and Belgium one day but there after we plan on walking, but if its too cold, we may be taking the metro.





So do I need say a Carte Orange for the RER and Carnets for the metro? I%26#39;m so confused... sorry I just don%26#39;t get it. We want to go to the Orsay and Louvre and we can get the museum pass at the train station as well? A 3 day pass or 2 day pass? I really only want to see those 2 and of course the Rodin sculpture of %26quot;the thinker%26quot;.





We get to Paris this coming Sat and leave Paris on Thurs Feb 10.





Thanks a bunch!! AGAIN!!! Could not have done all this planning without this site and everyone%26#39;s feedback...MERCI BEAUCOUP




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;My boyfriend and I are planning to take the RER also - If we have one large bag and 2 carry-ons, will we fit on the train? Or is this too much luggage to expect to take on the RER?%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





My wife and I (neither of us Olympic decathaletes) manage this trip quite nicely with a rolling suitcase each, me with a small backpack and she with a tote. If there are %26#39;tricks%26#39; to this one is that you will need your RER ticket stub to exit the wide turnstiles at the stations, so keep your tickets in a ready-to-hand place on your person so that you don%26#39;t have to stop in mid-turnstile to try to fumble around in pockets or purse for your ticket stub. The second is that when you exit the train at your stop in Paris, take a moment to look around for the escalators UP--rather than just taking the stairs. It%26#39;s been my personal experience and unscientific observation that escalators usuall work at RER stations and don%26#39;t at Metro stations.




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;KDK - So I can take the RER B to Luxembourg correct? I%26#39;ll be flying American which is in level 2A, so we%26#39;ll walk to the RER. What kind of RER ticket do I buy when I get to the station?%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





Simply ask the ticket seller for %26quot;..deux billet a Paris--simple..%26quot; and have your cash or credit card in hand. There%26#39;s no price advantage for pre-purchase of round-trip tickets, so keep your options open in case you change your mind about the return trip.





Before you commit yourself to taking the train to the Lixembourg station, take a look at a good Paris street map (you%26#39;ve already got one, right?) and find the intersection of rue des Ecoles and rue de Cardinal Lemoine. That%26#39;s exactly where your hotel is located. As previously suggested, I%26#39;d be inclined to get off the RER B at the SAINT MICHEL/NOTRE DAME stop (which will bring you up onto the street at the intersection of rue Saint Jacques, where quai Saint Michel meets quai de Montabello at Petit Pont.

No comments:

Post a Comment